Monthly Archives: July 2019

Developers Hope to Squeeze More Units on Mission Affordable Housing Site

first_imgA Mission District-based non-profit housing developer and its partner have won the rights to develop up to 89 units of affordable housing at the corner of 16th Street and South Van Ness Avenue, the city announced on Thursday.The site’s developers, however, said the 89-unit count was a maximum and could be lowered if too much time or costs is added to the project by pursuing more units.The Mission Housing Development Corporation and Bridge Housing were picked by officials at the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development to build an eight-story complex at 490 South Van Ness Ave., a city-owned lot two blocks from the 16th Street BART Station.The non-profit pair will build 24 percent more units than were permitted for the site after city officials requested that bidders maximize their unit count. The partnership at 490 South Van Ness will did so by removing a parking garage and adding one story to the building. The project will be affordable to those making up to 60 percent of area median income, or $58,150 for a family of three. In line with city’s policy to prioritize homeless housing, 30 percent of the units will be reserved for formerly homeless families making up to 30 percent of area median income or $29,100 for a family of three.The city’s neighborhood preference policy will ensure that 40 percent of the units go to residents of District 9 or those who live within a mile of the project.“I’m really excited,” said Sam Moss, the executive director of Mission Housing. “I believe 16th and South Van Ness having 100 percent affordable family units will really activate that entire corner, and it’s something that I think that area has needed for a really long time.”The 490 South Van Ness site was slated to become 72 units of market-rate housing but was purchased by the city last year for $18.5 million. Not including land acquisition, the total project cost is estimated to be $45 million, said Teresa Yanga, director of housing development at the Mayor’s Office of Housing.Funding will come from a combination of city, state, and private sources, with some $10 million from San Francisco coffers, she said. That puts the city’s contribution at about $28.5 million.As planned, it will rise to eight stories and break through the 68-foot height limit on the lot using the city’s density bonus for fully affordable housing projects. If the pursuit of the additional story is prohibitive in terms of cost and development time, Moss said it may be dropped.The ground-floor space will be used by non-profits like Instituto Familiar de la Raza and Poder for programming, Moss said. In line with new affordable development in the city, and given its proximity to transit, it will have no parking on-site.The area around the 16th Street BART Station is home to both low-income residents in single-room occupancy hotels and tenants in high-end condos. Two tech shuttle stops are on the same block as the project site, and homeless encampments line the streets just a couple blocks away.New developments coming to the area promise to transform it in the next few years. A 380-unit market-rate project two blocks away that has for years been opposed by activists recently restarted, and a handful of smaller developments are planned for the northern part of Mission Street.The area will also get most of the affordable housing units planned for the neighborhood. Three fully affordable housing projects will be built within a two-block radius of the project, bringing in over 500 below-market-rate units — 127 units at 2060 Folsom St., 140 units at 1990 Folsom St., and 157 units at 1950 Mission St.Those are part of seven affordable projects that would bring some 750 below-market-rate units total to the Mission District in the next few years.If all are approved, the area north of 16th Street will see at least six buildings rising to eight stories or more, four of them affordable. The 490 South Van Ness project is the second project awarded to Mission Housing and its partners in the neighborhood in the last 15 months and the third city-wide. The organization won the rights to build the 1950 Mission site in 2015 and another 90 units in Balboa Park in October. That comes after a decade of not building housing and is a boon for the non-profit developer, which manages 1,600 units in 38 buildings in San Francisco. It has competed with the Mission Economic Development Agency, a newcomer to affordable housing development, for other projects in the neighborhood, three of which MEDA has won.Moss, for his part, was ebullient about the upcoming affordable housing projects planned for the neighborhood.“We can start pointing to some hope for the residents of the Mission and the low-income working class tenants of this city that we are finally building a significant amount of units,” he said. “We’re working on some, MEDA’s building some. The whole Mission community is coming together.” 0%center_img Share this: FacebookTwitterRedditemail,0%last_img read more

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

ANOTHER fantastic edition of the Saintsrlfccom Po

first_imgANOTHER fantastic edition of the Saintsrlfc.com Podcast is available to download.Saints are 80 minutes away from Old Trafford and to preview the big clash we spoke to Mike Rush, Anthony Laffranchi and Lance Hohaia.To download click here or search for St Helens RFC on iTunes. Remember if you want a question answering on the Podcast drop us a line @saints1890 on twitter or email info@saintsrlfc.com with Podcast in the subject line.last_img

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

SAINTS First Utility Super 8s home fixture vs Ca

first_imgSAINTS’ First Utility Super 8s home fixture vs. Castleford Tigers has been moved forward to Thursday September 8 (KO 8pm) due to it being selected by Sky to be televised.The game was originally scheduled for Friday September 9.All tickets purchased for the game are still valid for the new date, as are all 2016 Members who get free access as part of their Membership.You can purchase tickets for the game by clicking here or by calling 01744 455052.last_img

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Local teachers use book and movie to combat bullying

first_img “Wonder” is also a book that the students read. The story is about a boy born with a facial deformity who is mercilessly bullied at school.“It’s just a really good way for us to teach our children about bullying and how it’s not okay. And also how it does affect people their age and things like that,” Kirbe Northam said.Each morning, Northam and Frantz teach a lesson to reinforce the problems with bullying and encourage discussion among the students.Related Article: 6-year-old boy made up story of beating by bullies, police say“They get a lot of those lessons first thing in the morning. They’re able to apply throughout their day and reflect back on. We’ll be in math and something will be said and the kids will be like ‘oh my goodness, that reminds me of this situation in Wonder’ and it’s just- it’s amazing what these kids have done with this book,” Northam said.“Being able to connect connect and just seeing how the students feel comfortable enough to share that stuff with not only me but their other 25 other classmates in their class is really amazing,” Frantz said.Both teachers will take their fourth grade classes to see the movie adaptation of “Wonder” this Saturday at the Pointe at Barclays as a bonus lesson outside of the classroom. WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Bullying is an age old problem. Teachers like Kirbe Northam and Kelsey Frantz at Murrayville Elementary are trying to make it a thing of the past. Both say they were bullied as kids and they see the problem continue today.“We were talking about a novel that we wanted to read with our students. What would be influential to them? What would impact them and then we saw that the movie ‘Wonder’ was coming out,” Kelsey Frantz said.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Brunswick Co murder suspect admits to crime says he enjoyed it

first_img It happened in November on Paddlewheel Trail in Supply.According to an affidavit, a witness told investigators he saw a white Jeep Cherokee drive down the road, turn off its lights, and park on the side of the street. The witness saw the man get out of the car and walk toward Robinson’s house. A few minutes later, he heard a gunshot. The witness saw the man walk back toward the Jeep, place a long gun in the back seat of the vehicle, get in the driver’s seat and drive off.That corroborates a 911 call made the night of the shooting.Related Article: Huffman, Loughlin briefly appear in court for college scamDeputies arrived and found Robinson shot in the lower abdomen. He was pronounced dead before he arrived at Brunswick Novant.According to documents, the woman listed as Robinson’s next-of-kin told investigators she had dated Robinson for more than a decade. When asked if she knew who drove a white Jeep Cherokee, she said she did and told them Jeff Carlyle, known as “Queenie,” drove a Jeep.She told investigators when she saw Carlyle in August, he commented about not seeing Robinson with her recently, referred to him as a “son of a b****” and accused Robinson of having an affair with his wife.The woman told investigators she spoke with Robinson about her conversation with Carlyle and he denied the allegations. The woman told investigators Robinson told her that Carlyle also left him threatening voicemails.Investigators found Carlyle’s jeep on Seccession Drive in Supply. In the affidavit, detectives say Carlyle voluntarily came to the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office where they read him his Miranda rights and he agreed to speak without an attorney.Carlyle admitted to shooting Robinson and said he had been thinking about it for a month or two, and his declining health pushed him over the edge to move forward with his plan. He told investigators he took his shotgun and some bird shot, then drove to Arrow Wood Trail, parked on the road, and walked toward Robinson’s home. He told investigators he checked the front door, which was secured. Robinson opened the door, asked Carlyle “what’s up buddy” to which he replied “I got something for you.”Robinson asked “what do you have for me” and Carlyle replied “that” and shot Robinson.Carlyle then told investigators, “I shot him. I enjoyed it. I damn sure did.”Investigators also searched Carlyle and Robinson’s home.They took several shot gun shells, three boxes of shotgun shells, iPad mini, cell phone, notebook, sweatshirt and the Jeep Cherokee.They also took DNA from Carlyle. They seized several items of evidence from the crime scene, including cigarette butts, they believe the suspect left.They also took three cell phones from Robinson.Carlyle is in the Brunswick County Detention Center under no bond. He was assigned a court appointed attorney. BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Brunswick County man charged with murder admitted to investigators he did it and enjoyed it, according to court documents.Jeff Carlyle is charged with first degree murder in the death of Carl Robinson.- Advertisement – last_img read more

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

PCSO 300 students leave schools following not credible threat

first_img At approximately 7 a.m. Tuesday, the Pender County Sheriff’s Office and Public Schools received information from a concerned parent regarding a Snapchat post warning of a possible shooting in “Pender County Schools”.Rowell says after looking into the situation, around 9 a.m. a message was sent notifying parents of the threat and that it was “not credible.” He says there are deputies going throughout the schools in Pender County.Rowell says they saw approximately 300 students choose to leave campuses due to the threat.Related Article: Shallotte car theft suspects arrestedHe said the first priority is to inform the parents as soon as possible. Rowell also said some students have checked out of school and that means students are missing out on their education because of this.“We would like to ask that parents continue to speak with their children regarding these types of incidents and encourage students to bring information forward when they hear or find out information. Please ask your students to notify a parent, school official or local law enforcement official,” Rowell said.We reached out to Pender County Schools for comment and have not heard back.Last week, Brunswick County schools dealt with a string of rumors related to threats made last September.Friday a student at South Brunswick Middle School was charged with making a false threat.Investigators charged another SBMS student today for another false threat. PENDER COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Investigators say a social media post about a shooting at Pender County schools, is not a credible threat.Capt. James Rowell with the Pender County Sheriff’s Office said someone posted on Snapchat, “No school for me tomorrow because there’s supposed to be a shooting at Pender County Schools.”- Advertisement – last_img read more

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Leland man charged in shooting outside sports bar on Carolina Beach Road

first_imgJohnny Johnson (Photo: Wilmington Police Dept.) WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Leland man accused of shooting a man in Wilmington is being held without bond.Wilmington Police have charged Johnny Jermaine Johnson, 40, with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury and possession of a firearm by felon for his role in a shooting early Saturday morning that left a Wilmington man with serious injuries.- Advertisement – Members of the US Marshals Fugitive Taskforce with the Wilmington Police Department arrested Johnson late Tuesday night after locating him in Brunswick County.Officers responded to New Hanover Regional Medical Center around 2:00 a.m. Saturday in reference to a gunshot victim.Upon further investigation, officers determined the 36-year-old victim had been shot outside the Jamaica House Sports Bar & Grill on Carolina Beach Road.Related Article: Hospital security guard charged with having sex with corpseJohnson is in the New Hanover County Jail.Police say this is an isolated incident.last_img read more

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Woman reported missing to the Police

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> A woman has been reported missing with the Police.Mary Muscat was reported missing on 18 April and was last seen 17 April, with the police making it public on Saturday.The police released a photo of the woman and said that she suffers from dementia.Anyone with any information is asked to call the police confidentially on 21224001 or 119. Alternatively one could speak directly to the Qawra District Police.WhatsApp SharePrintlast_img

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

More than 300000 contraventions issued in 2018

first_img334,751 contraventions and 12,749 warnings were served in 2018. This means 14.2% less when compared to the previous year.More than half of the contraventions were handed out in by community officers. 56,000 fines were issued against drivers caught speeding. More than 31,000 contraventions were issued after offenders were caught on CCTV cameras while 11% were issued by the Police. Transport Malta issued 4% of the contraventions in 2018. The education department has issued a little more than 3,000 contraventions.Minister for Local Government Owen Bonnici tabled the figures in Parliament in his reply to a parliamentary question posed by Opposition MP and Whip Robert Cutajar.WhatsApp SharePrint <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Updated 4 people injured after Marsascala collision

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> It has been confirmed that 4 of the 6 people involved in a traffic accident in Marsascala and later taken to hospital, were injured.One of the males involved suffered a foot injury while three others received light injuries.The collision occurred between a car driven by a young 20-year-old Marsaxlokk and a second car driven by a 34 year old Italian from Marsascala. Also in the car were two other Italians, aged 35 and 34 years, both residents Marsascala.A spokesperson from the Police Force told Newsbook.com.mt that the accident took place at around 8.00pm. An ambulance and members of the Civil Protection Department were sent on site. The accident took place in Triq il-Bajja ta’ San Tumas.The condition of the six persons, which in all likelihood are not all Maltese, is not yet known.Shortly before, a 10 year old girl died following a separate car accident in Manikata.WhatsApp SharePrintlast_img read more

Posted in vfkxn | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment