The man known as Nick, whose allegations of VIP child abuse sparked Scotland Yard’s vast Operation Midland inquiry, will stand trial in March next year.The 50-year-old, whose real identity cannot be revealed for legal reasons, is charged with 12 counts of perverting the course of justice and one count of fraud relating to a compensation claim.During a brief hearing at Newcastle Crown Court at which Nick appeared via videolink, the judge, Paul Sloan QC, set a trial date of March 5 next year.Raymond Tully, representing Nick told the court that it was expected his client would “fully contest the charges”.The case is expected to last six to eight weeks and and will take place at Newcastle Crown Court. Nick claimed some of the abuse took place at Dolphin Square in WestminsterCredit:Steve Parsons/PA Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings. After declaring the allegations “credible and true” Scotland Yard mounted an 18-month, £2.5 million investigation boasting 31 full time detectives.But the investigation was eventually closed down without a single arrest being made and the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police subsequently apologised to those whose reputations had been damaged.Northumbria Police was asked to investigate Nick and in July the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced he was being charged with 12 counts of perverting the course of justice.He was also charged with one count of fraud relating to a £22,000 payout he received from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) for sexual abuse he claimed he had suffered. Operation Midland was launched in 2014 when Nick told police he had been raped and abused in the 1970s and 1980s by a number of powerful men, including the former Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath; the former head of the Army, Lord Bramall; the former Home Secretary, Lord Brittan; former Tory MP, Harvey Proctor and the former Labour MP, Lord Janner.As well as abusing youngsters, he also claimed that some members of the group had murdered three boys during depraved sex games.