Conte admits Pedro dived in cup clash

first_imgChelsea Conte admits Pedro dived and understands his ‘mistake’ Jon Fisher 02:18 1/20/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(1) Chelsea Brighton & Hove Albion v Chelsea Brighton & Hove Albion Premier League FA Cup Antonio Conte The Blues boss will not be discussing the Spaniard’s yellow card for simulation in an FA Cup clash with Norwich as the player knows he made an error Antonio Conte has conceded Pedro’s booking for simulation against Norwich City was deserved but repeated his claim that VAR needs to be implemented correctly in England.Former Barcelona winger Pedro was shown a yellow card for going to ground despite there being no contact with Canaries goalkeeper Angus Gunn in the FA Cup third round replay at Stamford Bridge which the hosts eventually won on a penalty shoot-out.The Spaniard was later sent-off, as was striker Alvaro Morata, whose first caution was also for alleged simulation. A third player, Willian, was another booked for diving. Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player Conte insisted both Morata and Willian were harshly treated but showed no such support for Pedro.Speaking ahead of Saturday’s trip to Brighton and Hove Albion, Conte told reporters: “I must be honest, I watched the three situations against Norwich and I think Willian’s situation was very clear – it was a big mistake.”Then Morata, I think there is a foul. There is a foul. Then you can decide whether you concede a penalty or not, but there is contact. Not a dive.”For Pedro, we must be honest and accept Pedro dived.”Conte said he would not be discussing the incident with Pedro, however, adding: “The player is clever, he’s intelligent to understand when you make a mistake. In this case, Pedro understood this mistake.”Italian coach Conte criticised VAR following the midweek clash and reiterated the system that is currently being trialled needs to be utilised better before it is rolled out in the Premier League.”I like this new system, especially if this new system can help reduce a referee’s mistakes,” he said.”If you are able to use this new system in the right way, that can happen. You can have games without big mistakes, big referee’s mistakes. It’s a good opportunity. But, at the same time, they have to improve a lot to use this new system. The way they’re using it now, it’s not correct.”They have to look at the other countries who have been using the system for a long time. Italy have been using it since the start of the season and the level of using the system is very good. In Italy, a lot of people are very happy to have this new system.”last_img read more

adminNovember 14, 2019qhaegLeave a Comment

Read More

a month ago​Man Utd hero Ince: Solskjaer has nobody that excites

first_img​Man Utd hero Ince: Solskjaer has nobody that excitesby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Manchester United and Liverpool player Paul Ince believes that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer does not have enough exciting players in his squad.Ince, who has often served as a vocal critic of Solskjaer and the club’s management structure, believes the team does not have a squad good enough to challenge at the top end.United are struggling at the start of the season, losing their most recent Premier League game to West Ham United.”I said last year – and got ridiculed for it – that Ole shouldn’t have got the Manchester United job at the stage he did. I stand totally by that comment,” Ince told Paddy Power.”Everyone got sucked into the start he’d made, without looking at the fixtures they had. It’s a result-based business, and that’s fine, but you can’t ignore performances.”Now, though, having decided he’s the man, giving him a long-term project and buying into his vision, they have to stick with him.”Irrespective of whether they win or lose at the weekend, he’s their man. There are no two ways about it, they’ve made their bed, and right now they’re lying in it.”They can’t be sacking their manager and abandoning the strategy, based on a few results. United will win games, people will get excited again, then they’ll lose and it’ll be back to crisis mode.”They’re the biggest team in the world, they’ll be on the back pages no matter what. That’s what comes with being a Manchester United player or manager.”But they no longer have that presence in terms of intimidating opponents. Teams know they can get something from them now, even at Old Trafford. Right now, United are vulnerable.”Chelsea already have a clearer vision. I think of Ole in the same way as I do Frank Lampard. Two young managers lacking experience, who have been thrown into two massive clubs.”But, if you gave me the choice of who I’d rather be watching this season, it’d be Chelsea all day long – and that hurts me as a former United captain.”Can anybody tell me what United are trying to do? Because I have no idea”They’re so reliant on the young lad Daniel James – who is brilliant, but was in the Championship with Swansea last season – it’s crazy.”There’s nobody there that excites me.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

adminOctober 28, 2019yhpeuLeave a Comment

Read More

4 days agoMan Utd chief Woodward: I’m not here to be famous

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man Utd chief Woodward: I’m not here to be famousby Paul Vegas4 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward insists he doesn’t care about being famous. Woodward has the bore of the brunt of criticism from the United faithful over his recruitment decisions in recent seasons.But Woodward says he is committed to turning the club into a successful on and off the field.”I understand the scrutiny; it’s part of the job. And I don’t want to be famous and can’t be mates with the players,” he said. “But we have to do everything we possibly can to get back to winning the Premier League. We are not successful until we do. Second is not success – we have to win the Premier League.” last_img read more

adminOctober 28, 2019atrgnLeave a Comment

Read More

Walk for Mental Health

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Mental Health and Addiction Advisory Committee is sponsoring the ‘Walk for Mental Health’, today, Tuesday, May 7th, 2019.The walk takes place on the Northern Vac Track, located on the 3rd floor of the Pomeroy Sports Centre from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm.All donations being raised go towards the North Peace Mental Health Society. Donations are being accepted at the walk. For more information on the walk, call Cynthia; 250-793-0178last_img

adminOctober 13, 2019yhpeuLeave a Comment

Read More

Launch of Buddha Airs KolkataKathmandu flight deferred due to elections

first_imgKolkata: The ongoing Lok Sabha elections has delayed the launch of Nepal’s private airlines Buddha Air’s proposed flight between Kolkata and Kathmandu by over a month. The airline will now begin its operation from May 27 instead of its earlier plan to start from April 16, Buddha Air’s Marketing Director Rupesh Joshi said. “We will operate three weekly flights between Kathmandu and Kolkata on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from May 27,” he said. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja “Both the India government and all agencies involved with aviation business suggested to begin the service post election. So we decided to defer it,” he said. Buddha Air would be the second Nepali Airline to connect Kolkata with Kathmandu after the Royal Nepal Airlines’ withdrawal from Kolkata two decades back, Joshi said. The Royal Nepal Airlines now operates flights from Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore to Kathmandu, he said. Joshi said grounding of Jet Airways will affect tourism in Nepal and a large number of booking for hotels and tour operators have been cancelled. He said Jet was the key airline to bring foreign tourists to the Himalayan country. Now, return fare from Indian destinations from Nepal had soared four times the normal rate owing to grounding of the Jet Airways.last_img read more

adminOctober 12, 2019bdknqLeave a Comment

Read More

EC to deploy 700 companies of Central Forces

first_imgKolkata: The Election Commission has decided to deploy a total of 700 companies of Central Forces in eight constituencies of Bengal which will go to polls on May 12.The Commission is leaving no stone unturned to ensure a free and fair election in the remaining two phases in the state. The EC officials including Special Police Observer Vivek Dubey have held a number of meetings with the election officials in the districts and the police officers to assess the overall poll preparedness. The election officials also took stock of the law and order situation. The district police officers have been asked to identify the trouble-prone areas. The Election Commission is taking preventive measures for the remaining phases of the Lok Sabha elections in Bengal so that poll processes are not disrupted at any booth due to the malfunctioning of the EVMs. Five phases of elections have already been completed. On earlier occasions, there were reports of EMV malfunctioning due to which the poll process was suspended for a while. The Commission is taking measures to bridge the gaps so that an EMV machine can be replaced by another if it malfunctions. During the recently concluded fifth phase elections, in some booths, the EVMs and Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trails (VVPATs) malfunctioned due to excessive heat. According to sources at the office of the Chief Electoral Officer in the state, in each polling station there will be adequate arrangements of alternative EVMs and VVPATs to meet the crisis. The EC has already started dispatching additional EVMs and VVPATs to all the polling booths. The eight parliamentary constituencies that go to polls on May 12 are Tamluk, Kanthi, Ghatal, Jhargram, Midnapore, Purulia, Bankura and Bishnupur.last_img read more

adminOctober 12, 2019yelfwLeave a Comment

Read More

Bypoll passes peacefully in Murshidabad

first_imgKolkata: The by-election in two Assembly constituencies of Murshidabad passed peacefully on Monday. The by-election was held after the seats fell vacant as MLAs from Nowda and Kandi, Abu Taher Khan and Apurba Sarkar, resigned and contested in the Lok Sabha election from Murshidabad and Berhampur respectively. There were no incidents of violence. The voters stood in long queues and exercised their franchise. Congress leaders alleged that Trinamool had influenced the voters and brought them to the polling stations from home. By-election in the Assembly seats of Bhatpara, Islampur, Habibpur (ST) and Darjeeling was held on Sunday. The result of the by-election will be announced on May 23, along with the results of the Lok Sabha polls.last_img

adminOctober 12, 2019bdknqLeave a Comment

Read More

Will Turner excel at next level

As expected, Ohio State junior point guard Evan Turner announced Wednesday that he will enter the NBA draft. The announcement marked the end of his time at OSU, and the focus now turns to Turner’s life as a professional basketball player.After withdrawing from classes, Turner will begin preparing himself for the draft, which will take place on June 24. The first step will likely be hiring an agent, and then presumably select a location to train, something that Turner says shouldn’t be too difficult of a decision.“I haven’t really fully selected an agent yet because I just made the decision last night,” Turner said. “I’m not sure where I’m going to work out or anything like that, but anywhere where there’s a rim and a ball that’s fine.”OSU coach Thad Matta said he spoke with NBA scouts and that they had plenty of good things to say about Turner. Matta couldn’t say specifically where scouts told him Turner would be drafted.“I think he’s going to be in really good shape,” Matta said. “They love a lot of things about his game.”The consensus is that Turner will be at least a top three pick, and possibly be drafted behind only Kentucky’s John Wall, who also declared for the draft Wednesday. As such a high pick, it is likely, if not definite, that Turner will play for one of the league’s worst teams.Depending on how the draft plays out, Turner could end up in a New Jersey Nets uniform, a team that may end the year with 70 losses. For someone who Matta said is one of the most competitive players he’s ever coached, the futility may be difficult to handle.But Turner said it is just all part of the process.“I don’t plan on losing, but if it happens I always say you have to pay your dues,” Turner said. “The most important part is learning from your losses. You have to have confidence and be committed to the mission.”The question remains, however, what position will the Buckeye point guard play in the NBA?In his first two years at OSU, Turner played mostly forward before making the move to the point. The lack of a true point guard on the Buckeye roster may have forced the move, but Turner thrived at the position en route to winning a bevy of national awards.With his size and myriad of skills on the offensive end, however, the possibility remains that he could play a number of different positions. Turner said he doesn’t know what position he expects to play, but he doesn’t plan on preparing any differently.“I just think I’m a basketball player,” Turner said. “I don’t know, I’m not the coach and I don’t know what type of coach or staff I’m going to have.“I’m just going to do the same thing I’ve been doing, be the first one in the gym and the last one out of it.” read more

adminSeptember 28, 2019njnrmLeave a Comment

Read More

Mens Hockey Ohio States Frozen Four run ends with 21 loss to

Junior forward Dakota Joshua skates with the puck against Princeton during the Buckeyes’ NCAA tournament win on March 24. Credit: Nick Hudak | For The LanternThe Ohio State men’s hockey team could not have dreamed of a worse start in its first Frozen Four game since 1998. It giving up two goals to Minnesota Duluth in the first three minutes of the game and got outshot 17-4 by its opponent in the first period.The Buckeyes seemed to tilt the momentum toward them as the game wore on and picked up their first goal with 10:33 remaining in the game. But the late push was not enough and the No. 1 Ohio State men’s hockey team fell 2-1 to No. 3 Minnesota Duluth in the semifinals of the Frozen Four, ending its season. This is the second year in a row that the Bulldogs (23-16-3) eliminated the Buckeyes (26-9-5) from the NCAA tournament.The game’s first goal came less than two minutes into the game on a cross-ice pass from Minnesota Duluth freshman defenseman Matt Anderson. He found Louie Roehl alone, and the freshman forward buried a shot past redshirt goalie Sean Romeo to take the early lead.Just 71 seconds later, Bulldog senior forward Jared Thomas beat Romeo low on a breakaway attempt made possible by a pass through the neutral zone by senior forward Karson Kuhlman. It was his 10th goal of the season.Romeo badly misplayed the puck and nearly gave up a third goal shortly after the Bulldogs’ second goal. But he was able to recover just in time to keep the puck out of the net. Romeo held strong the remainder of the game and stopped 26 shots. The Buckeyes got on the scoreboard in the third period with a power-play goal by sophomore forward Tanner Laczynski. With the help of sophomore defenseman Wyatt Ege’s broken stick, Laczynski found himself alone in the slot with the puck, and ripped it past goalie sophomore Hunter Shepard to make the score 2-1.The biggest missed opportunity for Ohio State came in the second period on a power play. Sophomore forward Ronnie Hein had a wide-open net to shoot at while Shepard was down, but Kuhlman blocked the attempt with his stick, shutting down Ohio State’s momentum on the man advantage.Shepard gave the Buckeyes fits, saving 19 of 20 shots. read more

adminSeptember 28, 2019tznlsLeave a Comment

Read More

Kroos is Germanys key player – Matthäus

first_imgGermany legend Lothar Matthäus believes that Toni Kroos will be the key player for the national side as they bid to retain their World Cup title this summerThe 28-year-old has just recently won his fifth Champions League title after Real Madrid’s 3-1 win against Liverpool in Kiev last month and has become an integral member of the Spanish giants in his four years at the club.Matthäus, who won the 1990 World Cup with Germany, believes that Kroos can inspire the national team to retain their world title at Russia.“I think at this moment a key player is Toni Kroos,” Matthäus told the Bundesliga website.Top 5 Bundesliga players to watch during the weekend Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 11, 2019 With the international activity cooling down for the next month, we go back to the Bundesliga’s Top 5 players to watch next weekend.The German…“He’s won the Champions League four times. Three times in a row with Real Madrid. One time before with Bayern. I think he’s full of confidence. He’s coming to the tournament and he’d like to show that it’s not only possible to win titles with Real, he will win with the German team too. He can make the difference.”The 57-year-old welcomed the return of captain Manuel Neuer, who he rates as the “best goalkeeper in the world”.“We have good attackers. We have pretty much the best goalkeeper in the world [Manuel Neuer],” he said. “I think the team has good balance and good options from the bench, and this makes Germany one of the favourites.”Germany are in Group F and will face Mexico in the opening game of their World Cup campaign on Sunday.last_img read more

adminSeptember 18, 2019bttqtLeave a Comment

Read More